Saturday, April 17, 2010

Big Sean Complex Interview



Complex: "When you graduated, was music the only path you wanted to take?"

Big Sean: "Oh hell nah. Man, I graduated high school with a 3.7. I went to like the smartest high school in the D. I had damn near a full ride to Michigan State University, so that’s where I was gonna go. I met Kanye my senior year in high school. He was going though a lot of things with G.O.O.D. music as a label, and he had found me in Detroit. I got a chance to rap for him, and that’s how we started keeping in contact. He would send beats back and forth, and I’d jump on them. When he had revealed that he wanted to sign me my senior year in high school, it was kinda like, “Man, I wanna sign you, but I can’t because my label’s going through so much right now.” So I was on my way to college, and I was going to Michigan State. It was a few weeks until the first class, and then Kanye called and was like, “Man, we ready to just get this started.” He actually called my mom, too. He was talking to me, telling me, “I’m not trying to say you shouldn’t go to school, but if you’re trying to do this music thing and this school thing, you’re either gonna suffer and lack in one, or you’re gonna just run yourself down.” He put no pressure on me, and was like like, “It’s your choice ultimately.” So uh, I decided to take a record deal with Kanye West. [Laughs.]"


Read the whole interview here: COMPLEX.com

No comments:

Post a Comment