Monday, November 1, 2010

End Of The Month Recap + Interview


Hey!

Another month has passed and a new one has begun. Happy November everyone!

October was our most successful month yet with over 3,400 views! Also, October was a big experimental month. Master G began his "Remix Series" releasing remixes of songs requested by you. Remember, those songs can be played on the Reverb Nation widget and downloaded by clicking the artwork on the sidebar. Additionally, you may have noticed multiple changes on the banner and background artwork. We will continue to update the look and feel of the blog according to the season and culture.

Master G has been working in the studio non stop putting the finishing touches on his upcoming mixtape project. Therefore, we feel you have been neglected on knowing the real Master G. So here it is...the exclusive Master G interview:

Question 1: When and why did you start making music?
MASTER G: "Music has always been an important part of my life. Since the age of three I've been on stage performing all styles of music. Traditionally I was an actor, however I also was a part of a nationally touring choir show and was the lead singer in multiple alternative rock bands throughout my teenage years. I always experimented with poetry and hip-hop as a kid, but didn't make the switch to the genre until my freshman year of college. Although I love performing theatre; I feel so much more alive as a hip-hop artist knowing that every time I perform or release a song its a direct reflection of me, my talent, and my thoughts and emotions. This makes the material much more real and satisfying as an artist."

Question 2: How would you describe your music?
MASTER G: "I think you can hear strong Midwest hip-hop influences in most of my raps; and in a lot of my singing I blend my traditional show-tune vocal training with modern day R&B. Lyrically I'd like to be compared to a white Kanye West; vocally, John Legend. I think the combination of completely different musical styles lends itself to make very strong, emotional music that in turn creates my unique musical style."

Question 3: What aspect of music making excites you the most right now?
MASTER G: "I am excited to grow. Lately I have been working on non-mixtape singles that are primarily radio remix's. I have used these songs as ways to experiment with different production and delivery styles. I feel as though it has been this experimenting that has truly jump started my music. I recognize that it's okay to make mistakes, so when I look back and hear things in my singles that I would have done differently, I am okay with it. As long as I am making consistent progress I will continue to mess around with these techniques, it's a great way for me to see what works for me and what doesn't."

Question 4: How often and for how long do you practice/record?
MASTER G: "Depends on the material. Often if I'm just recording a weekly single/remix I'll sit down with a hand rolled cigar for an hour, have the song written, practice for fifteen minutes, record it in another 30-45, then mix it the next day. Sometimes it goes that quick, other times it takes me weeks or even months to finish a single verse, just depends on the material and how inspired I am at that moment."

Question 5: How would you describe your creative process? Do you have any rituals before you record or perform?
MASTER G: "I don't have too much of a ritual; there's very little method to my madness. I can write just about anywhere that I can be left alone with an ipod. If I'm preparing for a performance I will practice in front of a mirror for at least a week before (it's an old acting technique that is helpful in recognizing how I look to an audience.) Other than that I basically like to be as high as possible before I perform or record because it helps me focus on the material and hone in and embrace what I am saying. There is no better way to "get into character" than to smoke marijuana and I publicly stand by that. Aside from those things I am very flexible and not easily distracted which makes music a daily part of my life."

Question 6: Where do you get your inspiration?
MASTER G: "All my inspiration comes from myself. I do have other artists such as Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Eminem (minus his recovery album), and John Legend that are inspirations to me in the sense that I love much of the music that they create. However they do not inspire the material in which I write about. Music is my diary and the songs I write are driven from life experiences that I've been through. So, if I had to define where my inspiration comes from I would simply say, "Life."

Question 7: As you create music, do you find yourself getting more or less interested in new music made by other people? Why or why not?
MASTER G: "I am always interested in hearing new music and new artists, especially when its someone I've truly never heard of. It's a great way to hear what other people are trying and hear things that work and don't work for other artists. If I hear something I like, I'll try it and see if it works for me. Having said that I don't let other artists influence or intimidate me, ever. If anything I think I am more critical of artists now that I make my own music. I can confidently say that there are a good amount of wealthy, successful artists that are also talentless. There is a difference between good business and good music and that is something the average listen doesn't decipher."

Question 8: Who is your role model?
MASTER G: "Don't really have one! Sorry Mr.Matt."

Question 9: What is your personal favorite song (one of you own)? Why?
MASTER G: "My favorite song that I've released thus far would have to be Because I Know (feat. Zoe Indigo). Not only do I love working with her, but I believe in the message behind the song. It's only a matter of time before I obtain the same status as some of the great musicians of all time and I genuinely believe that with my entirety. Not only do I believe it, but I "already know" it."

Question 10: Are you influenced by any outside sources? (Media, friends, family, colleagues, other artists, etc.)
MASTER G: "No... sorryyy"

Question 11: What is your fondest musical memory?
MASTER G: "I've performed for thousands of people, played at clubs, theaters, battle of the band competitions etc. and I have many great memories. However, for sentimental reasons I believe that my first true performance as Master G at a loft party in Detroit MI (2010) was my fondest memory to date. It was the first time Master G was exposed to a live audience and I will always remember that night despite the fact that it was one of the smaller venues I've performed at."

Question 12: How do you balance music with other obligations?
MASTER G: "At this point music is the most important aspect of my life, therefore it comes first most of the time. I feel incredibly lucky to own my studio, because this makes the creative process even more hands-on. I have total creative control over the music I make which makes it easy to sit in the studio for days and forget about the rest of the world."

Question 13: What separates you from other artists? (In other words, what makes you unique?)
MASTER G: "Aside from my music itself, which I believe has its own unique style and delivery, I believe my presence is my biggest attribute. Being an actor growing up I embrace and read audiences arguably better than many top-of-the-chart artists. It is a skill to be able to entertain a crowd and not simply perform. I think my extensive experience on stage has helped me master that skill and I think that stage presents separates me from many other up and coming artists."

Question 14: If you could sit down with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
MASTER G: "Kanye West, for one simple reason: I see myself in him. Not only is he a huge influence on me musically but I feel as though I can relate to his story to success and his persona, that he receives a great deal of criticism for. Much like me, Kanye started out as a mid-class artist who worked and grinded his way to where he is today. That to me is constant inspiration and drive. As for his personality, I am much the same in the fact that people seem to either embrace and love me and my music, or they hate me and what I create. This is an interesting display of social behavior and I think that ignorant "haters" are an important piece of the puzzle for any artist. You can't be loved by everyone, and being hated helps keep an artist grounded."

Question 15: Do you have any upcoming projects, singles, shows we should know about?
MASTER G: "The weekend of Thanksgiving, don't go anywhere but Detroit."

Question 16: What are your future plans? Where do you see yourself this time next year?
MASTER G: "Drake. I see myself as realistically being the next Drake. However, as long as I keep making consistent progress in my music and my fan base continues to grow I will consider myself on the right track."

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT!

Mr.Matt - Creative Director

LISTEN.SHARE.SUPPORT.LOVE.MUSIC

No comments:

Post a Comment