Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Thoughts: Do You Act Different When You’re Single?

Okay this is an issue that is long overdue in my eyes. There is nothing I hate more than friends of mine that have completely different personalities depending on their relationship status.

Here’s the way I look at it, a relationship, especially at our age, shouldn’t change a persons’ personality one bit. Any good relationship is based off of absolute trust and communication. As long as you are upfront and honest with your partner you should be allowed and encouraged to maintain your independence within the relationship. If you love to go out to clubs, drink with friends, smoke weed and hang out with members of the opposite sex you shouldn't stop simply because you now have a girlfriend/boyfriend. In fact, I would argue that couples that get in a routine of not going out separately, over time, are more likely to build up feelings of frustration and resentment towards each other.

Think about it, even married couples need their time apart. It is not because you dislike the other person or because you’re trying to be disloyal or exclude them from your life, but if you hang out with a person every single minute of every single day you are bound to get fed up with each other.

So why attempt to control your partner and suppress their true personality? Why not trust them and respect their time spent with people other than you? I find I am so much happier when I feel like no one is telling me what to do. I believe that people that act differently when they are single do it because when they are in relationships they feel so held back that when they are single again they then feel the need go wild and let loose.
Do you do this? Be honest. Why? I have never been a person that falls into this trap. I am friends with, and text, and talk to girls whether I am single or not. I talk about, rap about, and blog about sexual, controversial topics whether I am single or not. I make music videos with girls other than my girlfriend dancing with me whether I’m single or not. I always stay true to myself. The only thing that changes when I get a girlfriend is I cut off all communication with any other girl(s) I am hooking up with at the time. However, by time I am official with a girl I have usually already stopped talking to my other hookups on my own, so this even isn’t an issue. 

I don’t believe I should have to change many things in my life just because I’m not single. I should still be fun, crazy Master G! Relationships should simply attach and add on to your life, they shouldn’t take it over. I believe this with my heart.

Find someone that likes you for you, no matter how imperfect you are. That's a relationship worth having. 

Stay true to yourself and you will be happy. 

What do you think? Leave us a comment below:

No comments:

Post a Comment