Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Thoughts: Acting Single in a Relationship

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: every good relationship is based on trust and communication. You have to be able to absolutely, without a doubt, trust your partner in any situation and effectively communicate any time you have an issue or concern within the relationship. Master these two things and I promise you your relationship will be full of genuine smiles.

However, lately I’ve been noticing more and more relationships crumble directly as a result of the absence of these things. In fact, I see more and more people in relationships that act single. I see people who betray the trust of their partner by flirting or talking to other people in a harmful manner. Or  cutting off the communication lines and not being 100% upfront with their partner about issues going on in their head. These are classic examples of things that I see people trying to get away with while still dating someone.  Why is it?

I’ve never been a perfect boyfriend and I’ve made my share of mistakes. But in my opinion, I have never faulted in these areas in any relationship I've ever had. Why would I? If trust is not important to you and you find yourself out at the club sexually dancing with other people or on Facebook messaging strangers, then why are you even in the relationship to begin with? If you're not really putting in the effort to let your partner know how you’re really feeling then it is not worth it!

I am not sure if people get too attached to their partner or if they simply don’t care about their relationship, but in any case I don’t understand this behavior. If you don't care and you just want to do your thing without having anyone breathe down your neck then stay single! Don’t get in a relationship until you're ready to commit. Being in a mutual relationship comes with certain expectations and if you can’t abide to them then it’s not the right thing for you. You should never feel tied down or controlled...but instead you should want to act differently because you've found someone who is worth acting differently for.

What do you think? Why do people do this? Has this ever happened to you? Tell us YOUR story by commenting below: 

2 comments:

  1. I'm exactly in that kind of relationship. Been living with a man for four years. I do all, the cleaning, the laundry, the groceries shoping, is lunch and yes I have a job too. etc...Him he doesn't budge a finger. This year he told me that he booked himself a trip south alone, when we have been planing to go togheter. I am mad as hell...because all the fun stuff he does alone. And when i did go with him on vacation south he add eyes for other woman but not for me. I am considering leaving him...but have to wait because when I moved in his house he asked me to sell my furniture...so Im stuck with a Jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a sticky situation. It also sounds like he wants to flirt with other women on his trip "alone." You should keep an eye on him and ask if he is committed to you. If not, you should think about moving on...

    ReplyDelete